Adventures of a Czech girl exploring the world while working and living abroad. Currently in Mexico working for an international development organization, while speaking no Spanish whatsoever. This should be fun. (What you read here are my personal accounts of my experiences and have nothing to do with any organization I am, or was, working for.)
Czech in the world. Checkin' the world.
July 7, 2012
Estoy en México
After long 24 hours of travelling, I landed in Mexico City. The flight was long and made me realize, once again, how easily we all get used to better things. I'm throwing it out there - being on a 12-hour AeroMexico flight was painful and felt like flying in 2005. Why 2005? That was when I flew Frankfurt - Vancouver on a plane with no touch-screen in-flight entertainment etc. Yes, it is a first world problem that this flight had pretty much no in-flight entertainment, and it is a first world problem that it was physically painful to endure it. I know. But it is what it is.
Everyone is asking me what my impressions of Mexico are so far. Well - none. The airport was nice and made sense (unlike CDG, that airport is just pure insanity). But I got here at 5am and was driven to Texcoco, my current location, in the dark. There was a lot of water on the roads (rain season) but the roads were paved (I did think of Accra when the car was going through the water) and I saw no slums, shacks etc. I did see a drunk man sleeping in his car in the middle of a crossroads and a lot of red-light ignoring. But I'm in no way ready to have any impressions. The driver was very nice and we had a nice conversation about the mountains, the water, gods, and ducks. I speak no Spanish and he spoke English un poquito but we figured it out.
And then I got to my room (which is mine for a night or two), fell asleep, walked around the campus a bit, decided there's a lot of hiking in my future and now I am ready to sleep and get rid of the jet leg.
Labels:
air travel,
arrival,
Spanish
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment